Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige announced at San Diego Comic-Con that the Fantastic Four movie would kick off Phase 6 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. We’ve seen how Reed Richards, Sue Richards, Johnny Storm, and Ben Grimm became the Fantastic Four on the big screen before, twice in fact, but Kevin Feige told THR that Marvel’s Fantastic Four movie wouldn’t be another origin story.
“A lot of people know this origin story,” Kevin Feige said. “A lot of people know the basics. How do we take that and bring something that they’ve never seen before?” As the Fantastic Four have decades of history behind them, Feige admitted, “We’ve set a very high bar for ourselves with bringing that to the screen.” The origin of the Fantastic Four has played on in movie form twice before, first in Tim Story’s Fantastic Four in 2005 and again in Josh Trank’s 2015 Fantastic Four. With the characters now set to join the MCU, I don’t think we need another entire movie dealing with the team’s origin, so I’m perfectly fine with Feige wanting to skip that particular aspect.
Spider-Man: No Way Home director Jon Watts was originally tapped to direct the Fantastic Four movie for Marvel, but he dropped out earlier this year after realizing he needed a break after directing three Spider-Man movies back-to-back. Watts said, “Making three Spider-Man films was an incredible and life-changing experience for me. I’m eternally grateful to have been a part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe for seven years. I’m hopeful we’ll work together again and I can’t wait to see the amazing vision for Fantastic Four brought to life.” As for his replacement, no one has been announced yet, but reports have claimed that Kevin Feige is looking at some big names to take the gig so he can be more hands-off. Fantastic Four will hit theaters on November 8, 2024.
How do you feel about Marvel’s Fantastic Four movie skipping (or minimizing) the team’s origin?