After nearly a dozen films, Spider-Man continues to slay at the box office. A few years back, Spider-Man: No Way Home exploded with a $260 million opening, and now Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse just took in a massive $120M in its debut, marking an enormous jump from Into the Spider-Verse’s $35M opening, per Deadline.
Who saw this coming? No one. Most estimates pegged the film at $90-100M, but after a terrific $51M Friday (including previews) and a minor 28% dip on Saturday, Across the Spider-Verse swung past expectations and made a surprising splash. Worldwide, the pic collected $208M, including $17.8M from China.
Spidey amassed $20M worldwide from Imax, second best for an animated flick behind Super Mario Bros.’ $21M. How high can this Spidey swing? The next few months are jam-packed with potential blockbusters, namely Transformers: Rise of the Beasts, The Flash, Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny, and Mission: Impossible — Dark Fate Part One. Can Spidey stave off the competition?
The Little Mermaid, meanwhile, dipped a sharp 69% and grossed $40.6M in its sophomore frame, increasing its domestic total to $186M. Worldwide, the Disney adventure has amassed over $326M (per TheNumbers.com).
Box Office Results: Domestic Top 10
- Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse (Sony) 4,313 theaters, Fri $51.7M, 3-day $113.5M/Wk 1
- The Little Mermaid (Dis) 4,320 theaters, Fri $11.8M (-69%) 3 day $41.5M (-57%) Total $187.2M/Wk 2
- The Boogeyman (20th/Dis) 3,205 theaters, Fri $4.8M, 3-day $11.5M/Wk 1
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, 3,580 (-360) theaters, Fri $2.9M (-48%), 3-day $10.2M (-51%) Total $322.7M/ Wk 5
- Fast X (Uni) 3,467 (-621) theaters Fri $2.6M (-59%) 3-day $9M (-61%) Total $128.2M/ Wk 3
- Super Mario Bros (Uni) 2,344 (-804) theaters, Fri $920K (-46%) 3-day $3.35M (-48%), Total $566.2M/Wk 9
- About My Father (LG) 2,464 theaters, Fri $580K, 3-day $1.96M (-55%), Total $8.6M/Wk 2
- The Machine 2,409 theaters, Fri $535K (-76%), 3 day $1.77M (-65%) Total $8.7M/ Wk 2
- Kanadahar (BR/OR) 1,737 (-368) theaters,Fri $225k (-76%) 3-day $750K (-68%) Total $4.2M/Wk 2
- You Hurt My Feelings (A24) 912 theaters Fri $195,7K (-59%) 3-day $692K (-50%), Total $2.9M/Wk 2